As many of you know, I grew up in Texas (just north of Waco) but I live in California now. Food here is MUCH different than Texas! When I go back there are 3 things I want: 1) chicken fried steak, 2) BBQ, and 3) Tex-Mex. So that’s what I recommend that you try. But there are so many more Waco restaurants to choose from. I asked my family and friends to share their favorites for this list. If you have more, leave a comment!
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
Our Family’s Favorite Waco Restaurants
American / Home Cooking
- The Magnolia Table || Chip and Joanna’s new restaurant is now open! We plan to go in July and I’ll share pictures and write about our trip when we get back. I’m excited since we grew up eating at the Elite Cafe! And get the Magnolia Table cookbook to try out the recipes at home.
- Cafe Homestead || I heard this is one of Joanna’s favorite places to eat.
- Jake’s Texas Tea House || Classic homestyle fare.
- George’s O || Voted the best chicken fried steak in Waco for 12 years in a row! Don’t let the decor scare you off… the food is great!
- Luby’s || Gotta include Luby’s… it’s my dad’s favorite!
Barbeque Restaurants in Waco
There are a LOT more BBQ restaurants in Waco that I didn’t list. If you’ve been to a good one, leave a comment below and I’ll add it to the list.
- Rudy’s Country Store and BBQ || Barbeque by the pound. We always buy a bottle of Sissy Sauce and Rudy’s Rub while we’re there. Can’t get that in California!
- Vitek’s BBQ || Get the “Gut Pack”. Chip took the kids here on this episode of Fixer Upper. See more photos from my trip there… and get my opinion of the restaurant HERE.
- Tony del Maria’s Bar-be-Que
- Jasper’s BBQ
- Red Wagon Bar-be-que
Mexican Restaurants in Waco
- Chuy’s || Tex Mex. Known for their “big as yo face” burritos.
- Torchy’s Tacos || Tacos, of couse!
- Ninfa’s || More delicious Mexican food.
Where to Get a Burger in Waco
- Twisted Root Burger Company ||
- Health Camp || Don’t let the name fool you! They’ve been serving burgers, fries, and shakes since 1949.
- In & Out Burger ||
Sandwich Shops in Waco
- Newk’s Eatery || My sister-in-law recommends the chicken salad.
- Schmaltz’s || Another of Joanna’s favorites… She say’s they’re the “best sandwiches in town”.
Pizza in Waco
I personally, wouldn’t recommend pizza in Waco but I’ve got some nephews and nieces that would eat pizza ANYWHERE. If you’ve got someone in your group like that, here’s the pizza parlors that my family recommended.
- Double Dave’s Pizzaworks || Hand-tossed and specialty pizzas. Buffet. (This one gets my nieces’ & nephew’s favorite.)
- Poppa Rollo’s Pizza || Serving pizza since 1969!
Food Trucks in Waco
- at the Magnolia Market silos
- at university and Franklin near Spice Village (especially Xristos, the Greek truck!)
Here’s the complete Magnolia Market Table of Contents… or you can just hit the Next Page button above to go to the next story.
- 25 Things to do in Waco
- Our First Trip to Magnolia Market on Bosque
- Our First Trip to the Silos
- Magnolia Bakery
- Magnolia Garden Center
- Magnolia Market at the Silos, Part 1 – the Grounds + the BEST place to park!
- Magnolia Market at the Silos, Part 2 – Inside the Shop
- Our Trip to Magnolia Table
- Taking a Waco Tour with a Fixer Upper ‘Star’
- 27 of the Best Vintage and Antique Stores in Waco
- Our Favorite Waco Restaurants
- Where to Stay in Waco
Thanks for reading! And don’t forget to leave a comment if you have another favorite Waco restaurant. Thanks!
‘Til the next market,
Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim