It’s not quite officially summer yet but it’s getting warm so my daily lunch menu has switched over from soups to salads! Today you get to see how I make my “leftover” pasta salad.
You know how I hate to let any supplies in my craft room go to waste? I’m the same way in the kitchen. I hate to throw food out. I have no problem with eating the same thing every day but the Music Man likes some variety.
So whenever we have pasta I cook the whole bag or box, serve some for dinner, and put the rest in the fridge for other meals. Most of it will become pasta salad or macaroni and cheese.
“Leftover” Pasta Salad
There’s not really a recipe for this… I’ll call it a ‘non-recipe’. It depends on what you have in your fridge at the time. But there are a few basic categories:
- pasta — any shape works
- veggies — This salad had tomatoes, spinach, cucumbers, red onions, and grilled squash from last night’s dinner.
- cheese — Our favorites are feta and parmesan.
- meat — This had grilled chicken (also from last night’s dinner) but I’ve also used steak, fajita meat, pork chops, and taco meat.
- dressing — My favorite dressing is Caesar and Italian mixed half and half. Ranch and Italian are a good mix, too.
I box up the leftovers for my lunches. You can see that I’m having pasta salad for the next three days. No, I don’t mind eating the same thing every day!
Do you love salads, too? What are your favorites? Leave a comment and let me know.
Here are some of ours:
- Frito Taco Salad
- Couscous Salad
- Fajita Salad
- Homemade Buffalo Ranch Salad Dressing
- Our 5 Favorite Summer Salads
- Greek Cucumber Salad
- 142 Salad Ideas
‘Til the next meal,