Today I’m sharing another quick and easy Christmas project that you can make ahead of time. These candy cane Christmas gift tags are great for using up scraps of vintage lace. I love how the old scraps look with the bright new chenille stems!
I do realize that this is the middle of July. So turn the AC and the Christmas music up, make some hot chocolate, get your craft supplies out, and celebrate Christmas in July, aka CIJ.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
Candy Cane Christmas Gift Tags
- shipping tags, approx 4.75″ x 2.375″
- leftover coffee (or ink)
- red/white striped chenille stems (I got mine at Hobby Lobby several years ago but I saw some on Etsy and Amazon last week.)
- green seam binding
- vintage book pages
- scraps of lace
- red rick rack
- glue (hot or craft glue)
- sewing machine
- wire cutters
1. First, prep the shipping tags by removing the string and dipping them in leftover coffee. Allow it time to dry. If you prefer, you can just rub the edges of the tag against an ink pad. The next to the last photo on this page is an example. Or you can do both.
2. Cut your chenille sticks into thirds and shape each piece to look like a candy cane.
3. Tear strips of vintage book pages to fit the tag. Cut pieces of lace and rick rack. They don’t have to be exact. Mine overlapped the edges a bit.
4. Arrange on the tag so you can see where each piece needs to be placed. Layer and sew the text, lace, and rick rack. Then tie a piece of green seam binding through the hole.
5. Glue the “candy cane” on. Allow it time to dry.
Christmas in July 2014 with Duct Tape and Denim includes:
- 7/9 – Candy Cane Christmas Gift Tags
- 7/16 – Wreath Christmas Gift Tags
- 7/18 – Vintage Silver Coaster Christmas Ornaments
- 7/23 – Homemade Vanilla
- 7/25 – Christmas Necklaces with Personalized Gift Box Inserts
- 7/28 – Mixed Media Christmas Ornament Tutorial
- 7/30 – Homemade Vanilla Sugar
Other Christmas tutorials:
- Matchbox Advent Calendar
- Christmas Ticket Banner
- Christmas Playing Card Banner
- Vintage Gameboard Christmas Card Album
‘Til the next project,