Welcome to our DIY map and globe challenge! Scroll down to see lots more projects from my talented blogging friends. This world map art collage is another project I did several years ago. I was inspired by a piece I saw online. I think it was on Etsy but I can’t find the link now! Let me know if you’ve seen something similar. I’d love to go back and take a closer look at my inspiration piece. Here is the large collage hanging in our bedroom. Yeah, I really need to get to work on a headboard!
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
Supplies Needed for World Map Art Collage
- world map (I found mine at a thrift store. You can also get them online.)
- canvas (Mine were 24″ x 36″ & 9″ x 12″)
- decoupage medium
- paint brush (I used cheap foam brushes.)
- charcoal pencil
- black acrylic craft paint (optional)
Instructions for World Map Art Collage
- First, measure and cut map into 4″ squares. All of my canvases’ measurements were multiples of 4 so that worked out perfectly for me. If yours aren’t you’ll have to adjust the size of your squares.
- Arrange your map squares until you get a pleasing pattern.
- Apply a thin coat of decoupage medium to the canvas. On a large canvas work in sections.
- Lightly press map squares onto canvas.
- Apply a thin top coat of decoupage medium.
- Allow to dry completely.
- Draw lines with charcoal pencil around each map square. Smudge with finger.
- Optional, paint sides of canvas.
Here’s a close up so you can see how I smudged the charcoal around the edges. That also covered up the places where I didn’t cut completely straight!
I painted the sides of the small canvases. I’m still trying to decide if I should go back and paint the sides of the large canvas. What do you think?
Here’s the large canvas hanging over our bed… that STILL doesn’t have a headboard. I’m having the hardest time deciding what to do for a headboard! Let me know if you have any ideas.
If you enjoyed this post, you might also like these:
- 10 Easy Ways to Update Your Bedroom for Summer
- Handmade Tags with Vintage Maps
- Vintage Map Shadowbox
- 16 Crafty DIY Projects That Will Help You Recycle Your Old Maps
- How to Make Personalized Map Chairs
Thanks for reading! Leave a comment and let me know which map project you liked most!
‘Til the next project,