Merry Christmas in July! Although today’s project isn’t strictly for Christmas, I use these wire curliques mostly as Christmas ornament hangers. They are really simple to make, but let me show you how anyway. You only need one supply and a few tools to make these hangers.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
How to Make Wire Christmas Ornament Hangers
Supplies & Tools:
- 19 gauge dark annealed steel wire
- wire cutters – Do NOT use your regular jewelry wire cutters!!! This steel wire is much harder and will ruin them. Don’t ask me how I know…lol… I have an old pair of flush wire cutters that I set aside just for this wire.
- ring mandrel – Or anything round that’s about this size. This is just what I already had.
- round nose pliers
First, I cut a piece of wire about 8″ long. You can make these whatever size you need, so play around with the length. I suggest that you cut the first piece of wire a little longer than you think you’ll need. You can always trim it down.
Wrap one end around the mandrel, flip the wire around, and wrap the other end the opposite direction, forming an “S” shape. If you want both sides the same size, make sure you use the same point on the mandrel.
Next, I took each end of my “S” and made a loop. That way no one will get scratched by the sharp ends of the wire AND…
… when I use these on my vintage salt shaker ornaments I slip the ornament on before I make the second loop and the hanger won’t come off the ornament.
Of course, you can make these with whatever wire you want. I’ve done them with leftover brass wire but the steel wire holds its shape better. Plus I like the dark color… goes better with my vintage vibe.
If you enjoyed making these Christmas ornament hangers, you might also like these projects:
- 18 Rustic Style DIY Christmas Ornaments
- Upcycled Glittery Christmas Ornament
- 25 Basic Christmas Craft Supplies
- 100 Rustic DIY Christmas Decoration Ideas
- Mason Jar Lid Christmas Ornament
I hope this simple little project inspired you to make your own Christmas ornament hangers this year. Let me know if you try it.
‘Til the next project,
Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim