I’ve been making these silver Christmas ornaments from old coasters for about 5 years now. Vintage silver coasters are another thing I collect all year long while shopping at flea markets and thrift stores. When it comes time to get ready for Christmas, I turn them into silver Christmas ornaments! Keep reading to see how. I would love to see your coaster ornaments! Please share your photos on my Facebook page.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
Supplies needed for Silver Christmas Ornaments:
- vintage coasters (make sure they’re thin enough to punch a hole in)
- jump rings
- copies of vintage photos
- vintage crystals and/or beads
- pink seam binding
- pink tulle
- EuroPower Punch Pliers (or other hole punch)
- 2 pair pliers (I use one pair chain nose pliers and one pair bent nose pliers)
- circle paper punch (or scissors)
If necessary, clean your coasters before starting. Then punch a hole in the top and bottom. I use EuroPower Punch Pliers for this but feel free to get the hole in there any way you can… punch, drill, or hammer a nail through.
Punch or cut the photo copies into circles that will fit the coaster and carefully glue. Don’t use too much glue or they will bubble up and smear. Squeeze out a thick line of glue around the edge of the photo and sprinkle the glitter on. Allow to dry. Add more glue and glitter if needed.
Use jump rings or wire in the top and bottom holes. The top hole will just need a little circle to run the seam binding through. If your hole is big enough you could just run the seam binding directly through the hole.
Hang a crystal or beads with wire through the bottom hole. Tie a thin strip of pink tulle around the wire.
I would love to see photos of your projects if you decide to make them. Please share with me on Facebook, or tag me on Instagram or Pinterest! I already have a few of these available in my Etsy shop if you don’t want to make them yourself.
Christmas in July 2014 with Duct Tape and Denim included:
- 7/9 – Candy Cane Christmas Gift Tags
- 7/16 – Wreath Christmas Gift Tags
- 7/18 – Vintage Silver Coaster Christmas Ornaments
- 7/23 – Homemade Vanilla
- 7/25 – Christmas Necklaces with Personalized Gift Box Inserts
- 7/28 – Mixed Media Christmas Ornament Tutorial
- 7/30 – Homemade Vanilla Sugar
And check out our past Christmas tutorials:
- Matchbox Advent Calendar
- Christmas Ticket Banner
- Christmas Playing Card Banner
- Vintage Gameboard Christmas Card Album
‘Til the next project,
Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim
First published July 18, 2014.