I first saw the idea of a Christmas book Advent calendar on Pinterest and I thought it was a great idea! But I had to make my own list. I’m not anti-Santa but he’s never been a major part of our Christmas celebration. So I thought I’d create a list of Christmas books that focus more on the true meaning of the holiday.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
The idea is to wrap and number 25 books. Each night your kids get to unwrap a new Christmas story to read together as a family.
If you decide to do this please don’t think you have to go out and buy 25 books all the first year. Start with what you have and add a couple of books every year. You could even wrap library books… as long as you remember where they are before they’re due!
My Christmas Book Advent Calendar List
- Clopper the Christmas Donkey – This has become a tradition for us at our church. The kids LOVE Clopper!
- Benjamin’s Sling – The story of a shepherd boy in Bethlehem.
- The Berenstain Bears, The Very First Christmas – You know how much I love those bears!!! They made my list of favorite Thanksgiving books, too.
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey – How carving a creche changed a wood carvers life.
- Itsy Bitsy Christmas: You’re Never Too Little for His Love – I know you couldn’t wrap it but this one’s only $1.99 on Kindle!
- God Gave Us Christmas – I’ve heard parents say they like this book because it talks about the true meaning of Christmas without spoiling Santa.
- The Gift of the Christmas Cookie: Sharing the True Meaning of Jesus’ Birth – A family share Christmas cookies with others.
- Christmas Day in the Morning – A boy finds something special to give his father, without spending any money at all.
- Christmas Farm – A sweet story of a woman and little boy who plant and care for 600 Christmas trees on their farm.
- The Legend of the Christmas Tree – How the tradition of the Christmas tree began.
- The Legend of the Candy Cane
- Goodnight Manger – Who knew a manger could be so loud?
- Song of the Stars: A Christmas Story – Faithful to the text, this book tells more than just the Christmas story. It also describes how all creation was waiting for Him.
- Humphrey’s First Christmas – A fun retelling of the Christmas story. Told by one of the wise men’s camels!
- Mortimer’s Christmas Manger – The story of a little mouse who moves into a manger scene.
- The Little Drummer Boy – Beautifully illustrated by Ezra Jack Keats!
- The Little Shepherd’s Christmas – Told from the viewpoint of a young shepherd boy.
- Christmas in the Manger – A board book illustrated by Felicia Bond.
- A Night Like No Other – A toy soldier discovers that he should listen to his Creator.
- Who is Coming to Our House? – The animals get their home ready to share with Baby Jesus.
- The Pine Tree Parable – I’ve always like the parable series!
- The Crippled Lamb – This lamb felt left out but he had a special role this night. Another $1.99 Kindle book!
- The Animals’ Christmas Eve – A sweet rhyme and counting book.
- Luke 2 – We begin our Christmas Day celebration by reading Luke 2 straight from the Bible every year. There’s no better book than that!
And, just ’cause I love them so much, here’s a whole list of Christmas stories from the Berenstain Bears!
- The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Christmas – only $1.99 on Kindle!
- The Berenstain Bears and the Night Before Christmas
- The Berenstain Bears Get Ready for Christmas
- The Berenstain Bears Old Fashioned Christmas
- The Berenstain Bears and the Nutcracker
You may like these Christmas ideas, too:
- Matchbox Advent Calendar
- Game Board Christmas Card Albums
- Vintage Children’s Game Piece Christmas Ornaments
- My Favorite Christmas Movies
- Scrap Fabric Christmas Garland
- Peace on Earth Christmas Banner Globe
Thanks for reading my post! Please leave a message if you have or plan to have a Christmas book Advent calendar this year!
‘Til the next project,
Ann @ Duct Tape and Denim
Linking to: Mom 2 Mom Monday at The Quinntessential Mommy, Made By You Monday at Skip to My Lou