Christmas season starts at our house the weekend after Thanksgiving. Even if it is still November we’ll pull out the tree and decorations, pop some corn or make some cookies and hot chocolate, and watch our first Christmas movie of the season. It’s always White Christmas. And then it turns into a sing-along. The “sisters” song is my favorite. But we always fast forward through the choreography song. Not very Christmas-y.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
Best Christmas Movies
Here’s the complete list of my choices for the best Christmas movies for families:
- White Christmas – Always our first Christmas movie of the year.
- Elf – Elf is quickly catching up with White Christmas as our favorite. There are so many great quotes in this movie!
- Miracle on 34th Street – My favorite is still the 1947 version but the 1994 remake was pretty good, too.
- It’s a Wonderful Life – I don’t know how it’s possible but I’ve watched this movie almost every year for the past 30 years and I still cry… EVERY time.
- Holiday Inn – Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire. How much more Christmas-y can you get?
- The Bishop’s Wife – A lesser known movie, Cary Grant plays an angel who comes to help a bishop in answer to his prayer.
- The Nativity Story – The TRUE story of Christmas, beautifully told!
- Christmas with the Kranks – A fun story, especially if you’ve ever been tempted to just not participate in the Christmas overload and “skip” Christmas.
- A Charlie Brown Christmas – I guess it’s not technically a movie but it’s a classic. Plus it has the TRUE Christmas story in it
- The Original Christmas Classics SetRudolf, Frosty, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, and more!) – More TV specials but I’ll include them in my list of movies. These are the ones we grew up watching.
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas – The book is good but the voices of Boris Karloff and Thurl Ravenscroft make this one a classic.
- A Christmas Carol (The Muppet Christmas Carol, A Christmas Carol with George C. Scott, A Christmas Carol with Patrick Stewart) – This movie has been remade sooooo many times. These are my favorites.
- National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation – I’m kind of embarrassed to say that this is another of my favorite Christmas movies. More great quotes.
- Daddy’s Home 2 – We just discovered this a few years ago. Now it’s a Christmas-repeat.
- Crackling Fireplace – OK… not a movie OR a TV show but since our fireplace isn’t working I’ll turn on the Crackling Fireplace video and pretend!
So these are my favorites. If you have others you think I should watch send me a message or leave a comment.
Now, see if you can name all the movies these quotes came from! And please pin them!
Leave me a comment and let me know what you think are the best Christmas movies of all time! What did I leave off my list?
‘Til the next project,