It’s my birthday! (The day I wrote this… not actually today…) On October 23, I turned 52. Most days I can’t believe that I’m already in my 50s. But there are days when I feel even older. Several times in the last few years I’ve caught myself saying, “I can’t do that anymore.” or “I’m too old to do that.” But I’ve run across a few people who have inspired me to keep going… and even try a few new things. So I put together a unique bucket list of 50 things to do in my 50s.
First of all — the people who inspired this post: In my flea market adventures I’ve met women, up to 10 years older than me, that still go crawl around barn sales, haul the stuff home, clean it up, update it, drive a truck and trailer to a vintage market, set up their booth, and sell for the weekend… ALL BY THEMSELVES. And here I was, a few years ago, complaining about having to haul my bag of jewelry to a sale 20 miles from my home. It was after meeting a few women like that, that I signed up for Junk Bonanza in San Diego and Portland. Both are about a 12 hour drive from my house. And, I’m glad to say… I did it!
Another inspiration is my dad. He still flies out here to visit us. At least, we think he’s coming to visit us. He’ll rent his own car at the airport and usually takes a few side trips before getting to our house. Once, after not hearing from him for 24 hours, we found out he had driven up to OREGON where there was no cell service. He’s still going on adventures!
Now, on to my own unique bucket list…
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
My Unique Bucket List
This is my unique bucket list. I hope it gives you some ideas and I’d also love to hear what’s on your list. Leave a comment and let me know! I’ll try to come back and mark these off when I do them.
Visit MORE Vintage Flea Markets!
Topping my list is flea markets! Y’all know I love going to vintage markets and there are still a few on my list that I haven’t been to yet.
- Antique Week, Round Top/Warrenton, Texas
- Brimfield Antique Show and Flea Market, Brimfield, Massachusetts. This is a recent add after a friend recommended it to me.
- Alameda Point Antiques Faire, Alameda, California. This flea market is sooooooo close to my house! But it’s only on Sunday so I still haven’t been.
- Junk Bonanza , Minneapolis, MN – kinda done… I’ve sold at JB San Diego and JB Portland but haven’t made it to the main sale yet.
- First Monday Trade Days, Canton, Texas – On my list to do next year with my sister-in-law.
- Long Beach Antique Market, Long Beach, California
- Rose Bowl Flea Market, Pasadena, California
- Roses and Rust Vintage Market, Anderson, California – DONE – Been a vendor here for several years and it’s my favorite!!!
- Farm Chicks, Spokane, Washington. Talked about doing this with my friend from Spokane… maybe next year.
- Three Speckled Hens, Paso Robles, California
- Goat Hill Fair, Watsonville, California
- Vintage Market Days of South Central Texas, Waxahachie, Texas – DONE – Been a vendor here once.
BTW, many of you have asked why I’m not selling at some of these shows. Many, like Farm Chicks and Three Speckled Hens, aren’t accepting more jewelry vendors. Other, like Antique Week, are super expensive for the space plus would require a lot of extra expense traveling and staying at a hotel for multiple nights. Until I expand a little more I’ll just visit!
Take a Road Trip
We’ve done a LOT of traveling in the last few years. But I want to do a lot more!
- Mount Rushmore
- Washington, DC – DONE
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Canton, Ohio – DONE
- Arches National Park, Moab, Utah – DONE
- Canyonland National Park, Moab, Utah – DONE
- Bryce Canyon National Park, Utah – DONE
- Zion National Park, Utah – DONE
- Grand Canyon, Arizona – DONE
- visit ALL major league baseball stadiums
- Niagra Falls, New York – DONE
- Palm Springs, California – DONE
- Portland, Oregon – DONE
- Seattle, Washington
- Nashville, Tennessee
- San Diego, California – DONE
Other Travel Bucket List Ideas
These are more than just road trips…
- go to Asia – have our tickets for next year
- see a glacier
- take a cruise
- visit all 50 states
Learn Something New
Never stop learning!
- bake bread
- make tortillas
- take a watercolor class – DONE
- take a dance class
- take a furniture painting class
- take a photography class
- take counseling classes – DONE
Try Something New
- write a book
- own a Jeep – DONE
- get a new haircut… maybe even color? – DONE the haircut part
- try new makeup – DONE – My daughter convinced me to sign up for Ipsy last year. It’s been fun trying new makeup that I never would have tried otherwise.
- go through high school yearbook and look up friends on Facebook
- take a DNA test to see where my ancestors came from
- fly first class
- play a slot machine at the Las Vegas airport
- read a classic that you’ve never read – DONE… If Rebecca counts.
- go to a concert – DONE
- start a business – DONE
- become a mentor – DONE
- simplify my life
- try an new ethnic restaurant
- read the whole Bible
- try surfing – DONE
- wade in the Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf of Mexico
- work in a soup kitchen for a day
Now check out what my other “over 50” blogging buddies are talking about. (Blogging isn’t just for millennials!)
I’d love to hear what’s on YOUR unique bucket list! Leave me a comment!
‘Til the next project,