Recently I mentioned this idea to help have a clutter free home to a couple of people and they had never heard of it. So I thought I’d share it here.
I do a major house cleaning in the spring and fall. That’s when I put up my off season clothes and change my bedroom up for the next season. So I go through most of my drawers and closets during that time.
Clutter Free Home Tip
But to keep up with the clutter in between those major cleaning times I do this little trick that I learned a few years ago. I think it was from Flylady.
“Every day I get rid of FIVE things.”
Some days it’s five big things like lamps, dishes, or furniture we don’t want anymore. Other days it’s small things like expired medications or last week’s newspaper. Throw away, give away, or sell. Anything as long as it gets out of my house!
Some things I take to the flea market. But that has to mean that they can’t come back into the house if they don’t sell!
Here are a few ideas of places to look to get you started:
- old makeup bathroom drawer
- almost empty spray bottles of cleaner under the sink
- anything with holes or frayed in the linen closet
- anything you haven’t worn in the last six months
- extra holiday decorations
- stacks of magazines
- kitchen drawers
- desk drawers
- toy box
- craft supplies you don’t use
- paint that has dried up
- the 100s of pens & pencils that you’ve collected
- storage shed
- wherever you stash all your goodies you buy at flea markets and thrift stores
Leave me a comment if you’ve tried this. Or if you have any other tricks for a clutter free home!
If you’re looking for more ideas to declutter your home, try these books:
More decluttering, cleaning, and home organizing ideas:
- 12 Things to Throw Away When You Clean Your Craft Room
- How to Make Cardboard Storage Boxes Pretty
- 5 Things I Learned from The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up
- How to Hide Cords from Charging Stations on Desk
- 6 Things to Clean in Your Craft Room with a Lint Roller
‘Til the next project,