I’ve been working overtime on making jewelry this week. The holiday shopping season started early for me and my online orders have been picking up. I needed a break from jewelry today so I got out the sewing machine.
This post contains affiliate links. You won’t pay any more when you use these but I will earn a small commission on any purchases you make after clicking on them and I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for helping support my little blog!!!
How to Alter a Man’s Shirt
Bikeman went through his closet a few weeks ago and made a pile of clothes to take to Goodwill. I really liked a few of the shirts and I hung on to them. I’ve seen a few tutorials on Pinterest that showed how to alter a man’s shirt to fit a woman so I thought I’d try it.
Here’s the before and after photos:
The first problem I faced was the shoulder seams. The shirt seam was a couple of inches past my actual shoulder. I started by stretching out the man’s shirt on my table and laying one of my shirts over it. I used chalk to mark where I should cut.
My photos didn’t turn out all that great. I used one of my chambray shirts to measure and blue chalk. I wasn’t thinking about how everything would show up in a photo… I just got a lot of blue!
I cut along the chalk mark at the shoulder. Then I measured the sleeve against my shirt’s sleeve and cut off the extra.
Next I marked the side seams the same way, sewed them up, and trimmed away the extra.
Then I just set in the sleeves like I would if I was making it from scratch.
There was a lot of extra volume in the sleeves, too, so I trimmed them down along the seam, too. I didn’t change the cuffs — just moved the buttons. I usually wear my sleeves rolled up so that didn’t matter to much to me.
Here are a couple of tutorials I found online with a lot more photos:
- How to Tailor a Shirt
- How to Re-fit a Button-down Shirt
- How to Tailor a Button-Down Shirt for a Woman
Follow my DIY | Sewing board on Pinterest if you’re interested in more sewing projects. A special thanks goes to my hubby who photographed this project with his brand new iPhone 6+.
Hope you found this helpful! ‘Til the next project,