Once upon a time I had to pack up my little girls, load them up in the car, drive into town, unstrap them from their carseats, herd them into the library, remind them to use their inside voices, teach them how to use the card catalog, tell them to stop running, find the book they wanted on the shelf, get them to stop crying when we found out it wasn’t there, stand in line to check out, remind them we can’t eat in the library — we’ll eat as soon as we get home, no we can’t stop at McDonald’s, pay the overdue fee because one of the last books we checked out fell under the car seat and we didn’t know it hadn’t been returned, etc, etc, etc….
Then we started going to library book sales and collecting our favorite authors and series in our own home library. At one time we had over 3000 books in our house! Sometime I’ll have to share stories from that stage in our lives.
FYI, many links on this page are affiliate links and I’ll earn a small percentage of any purchases you make. This will help me pay the blogging bills!
When I was on my biggest “NO CHRISTMAS BEFORE THANKSGIVING” kick we collected Thanksgiving books for the girls to read. I also collected poems, stories, hymns, and Scriptures and turned them into a reading plan that is still available as an ebook called Give Thanks! Thanksgiving Readings for the Family.
There are also blank pages at the back to use as a Thanksgiving journal. I have some blog posts about that, too.
I just checked out Amazon to see how many of our favorites are still in print (a few aren’t, sadly). While I was there I was really excited to find Thanksgiving Books for Kids on Kindle… and many were only 99 cents!!! So I bought some. Yes, my kids are grown and Leo isn’t here yet. I read them to myself. And I enjoyed them. Don’t judge me…lol…
These are only 99c on Kindle!!!
- An Old-Fashioned Thanksgiving by Louisa May Alcott
- The Berenstain Bears Thanksgiving Blessings by Mike Berenstain – This one’s my favorite in the group. It’s a Faith Based story. I’ve always loved the Berenstain Bears!
- The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks by Mike Berenstain – “…teaches how God provided for the pilgrims and reminds children of God’s many blessings.”
- Thanksgiving Stories for Kids + Thanksgiving Jokes by Arnie Lightning
- Thanksgiving Alphabet by Riley Weber
This book is $1.99 for the Kindle edition and it’s also a collection of stories, poems, and prayers (not all are Christian prayers, though… just a warning for you). And has some beautiful cut paper illustrations.
- Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving by Katherine Paterson
And here are our favorite Thanksgiving books from when my kids were little:
- Turkeys, Pilgrims, and Indian Corn: The Story of the Thanksgiving Symbols by Edna Barth
- The Thanksgiving Story by Alice Dalgliesh
- Cranberry Thanksgiving (Cranberryport) by Harry Devlin
- 1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving by Catherine O’Neill Grace
- 175 Easy-to-Do Thanksgiving Crafts (Creative Uses for Recyclables) by Sharon Dunn Umnik (out of print)
- If You Were At The First Thanksgiving by Anne Kamma (out of print)
- Squanto, Friend Of The Pilgrims by Clyde Robert Bulla
- John Billington: Friend of Squanto by Clyde Robert Bulla (out of print)
Hope you, your kids, and your grandkids will be able to find a few of these titles and read them together before Thanksgiving.
And, just because I like them so much, here are MORE Berenstain Bears books:
- Thanksgiving All Around
- The Prize Pumpkin
- Harvest Festival
- The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings
- The Berenstain Bears Think of Those in Need